A Short History of Abandoned and Downsized Canadian Military Bases - Introduction
Written by Bruce Forsyth
Page 40 of 65
Canadian Forces Base Chatham - St Margaret's Detachment:
Opened in 1952 as RCAF Station St Margaret's, the home of No. 2
Aircraft Control & Warning Unit (AC&W), which replaced the
disbanded 2 ADCC from RCAF Station Chatham.
In 1953, RCAF Station St Margaret's became part of the newly formed
Pinetree Line, a network of radar stations established as an early
warning detection system against a Soviet air attack.
As a result of the Unification, St. Margaret's became a Detachment of
In 1985, DND announced that the Pinetree Line would be shut
down as a part of the North American Air Defence Modernization Plan.
Radar equipment at many Canadian Forces Stations was replaced with a new
automated system. As a result, CF Detachment St. Margaret's closed on 1
April 1988, the 64th anniversary of the Royal Canadian Air Force.
AC&W Squadron re-located to 22 Wing North Bay on 6 October 1988 and
was re-designated as 21 Aerospace Control & Warning Squadron.
Today the facility has been renamed to James Park in honour of
Air Vice-Marshal Arthur Lorne James. James Park is operated by a local development authority which
has sold or rented many of the residential units. Most of the military
buildings have been demolished.
The station's former receiver site located on Route 11 between
Chatham and St. Margaret's still exists, but the small brick building
that housed the radio equipment is to be demolished. The Transmitter
site was demolished many years ago.
Additional Source Material: DND press release from May 1989
& information supplied by Sherman Fisher, local resident involved in
the construction of RCAF Station Chatham and RCAF Station St.
Last Updated ( Monday, 06 May 2013 )