A Short History of Abandoned and Downsized Canadian Military Bases - Introduction
Written by Bruce Forsyth
Page 34 of 65
During World War II, Camp Dundurn became a major training
centre and transit point for personnel going overseas. The RCAF also
built a bombing range at the camp and the Canadian Womens' Army Corps
established one of its first units in Canada at Camp Dundurn .
A27 Canadian Armoured Corps Training Centre re-located to Camp Dundurn
on 28 January 1942 from Camp Borden. The school was re-named A27
Canadian Reconnaissance Training Centre.
Although A27 CRTC closed in March 1945, the camp would remain
open as a permanent Army camp. No. 6 Ordinance Ammunition Depot opened
at the camp in 1947 and Permanent Married Quarters were constructed.
In the early to mid 1960s, a reorganization and consolidation
occurred within the Canadian Military. Several Army, Navy and RCAF
bases were either downsized, merged or closed. As a result, Camp
Dundurn was downsized to a detachment of CFB Moose Jaw in 1966. No. 6
Ordinance Ammunition Depot was re-named Canadian Forces Ammunition Depot
Today the camp continues to serve as the home of Canadian
Forces Ammunition Depot Dundurn, as well as a training area and rifle
range for Militia and Regular Force units in Saskatchewan.The Canadian Forces Housing Agency still maintains 28 PMQs (now called Residential Housing Units) for military members.
Dundurn is now a detachment of 17 Wing Winnipeg.
Source Material: information supplied by Will Chaburn, Member Regina
Chapter, Canadian Aviation Historical Society (2001), CF Det Dundurn
Detachment Fire Service web site - http://www.geocities.com/platoontwo,
History of the Air Cadets Glider Training web site -
http://www.mts.net/~rgspra/hist.html, information supplied by the Canadian Forces Housing Agency (2011) & the Town of Dundurn web site -
Last Updated ( Monday, 20 May 2013 )