Page 23 of 65
Opened in 1928 as a tented Army Training Camp, used by the 28th
During World War II, the camp served as the home to No. A-30
Canadian Infantry Training Centre. "Temporary" H-huts were built at the
camp for barracks and administration buildings. In early 1944, No.
A-34 Special Officers' Training Centre also opened at the camp.
The camp remained open after World War II, serving as the
headquarters of the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's).
The camp began downsizing in the early 1950s when the nearby
Camp Gagetown was established and finally closed in 1965. The rifle
range continued to be used until the early 1980s, when it too closed due
to nearby residential development. The former camp's hospital was used
as the local hospital until 1979, when it was demolished.
Although nothing remains of Camp Sussex today, the last tank hanger
being demolished years ago, the Department of National Defense still
owns part of the property. The Brigadier Milton Gregg, VC, Armoury
occupies a small portion of the former camp, serving as the home to "B"
Squadron of the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) and the
training area continues to be used by troops from CFB Gagetown.
The remainder of the former camp is a recreational park,
industrial park and educational campus. A future housing development is
also planned for the area.
As a nod to the property's military past, the local sports
centre is named the 8th Hussars Sports Centre.
Source Material: Town of Sussex -
http://www.townofsussex.com/sussex/history.html, the Blacks Harbour
Historical Society - http://www.geocities.com/blacksharbour/utopia.html,
information supplied by Doug Briggs, Sergeant-at-Arms, Royal Canadian
Legion, Sussex Branch(2003), Abandoned Military Installations of Canada
Volume III: Atlantic by Paul Ozorak & New Brunswick Historic Images -